Wednesday, January 10

Sometimes...

Gosh, time files and here we are in (almost) the second month of yet another year and its time to look back and see -the dog – near the TV- NO NO Bruno OUT OUT Has anyone read No Comebacks By Frederick Forsyth. It’s a collection of short stories published in the year 1982. I used to read this on my way to office and after reading each story I would pause, think about it and smile. Yes , I did earn a few weird looks from my co passengers , but that’s alright. Here’s a brief description of the stories…and it is in the same fashion of Jeffery Archer’s “A Twist in the Tale. No Comebacks A rich philanderer plans to kill the husband of the woman he loves. There are no Snakes in IrelandAn Indian student plans revenge against his tormenting employer. The Emperor A banker wins a holiday to Mauritius, and ends up battling a great fish to the death on a game fishing trip. There are Some Days... Murphy has planned a hijacking to give tens of thousands of pounds' worth of French brandy, but nothing is going well. Money with Menaces A businessman finds himself in a situation of blackmail after spending a lunch break with a prostitute. Used in Evidence The demolition of an old man's house uncovers a dead body. Privilege A businessman is libelled in a newspaper, but plans an unconventional method of bringing this to the public's attention. Duty A chance encounter in France leads to the resurrection of old memories."It has been pointed out to me that the following story is out of character with the others in this collection and fits into no category. It is pure idiosyncrasy on my part, but I have decided to include it anyway. It was told to me by an Irish friend and he swore it was absolutely true and had happened to him. For this reason, unlike all the other stories, I have elected to tell it in the first person.F.F." A Careful Man A millionaire with terminal cancer must now make a will. But to whom should his wealth be left? Sharp Practice A judge engages in a game of poker with two other passengers on the train, without knowing anything about them. I am in mood to write a short story which I must say was sparked off by a 23ish-24ish avid tea drinker.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

23ish- 24ish :-P

Anonymous said...

was just thinking it is so much like the Jeffrey Archer thing - A Twist in the Tale ....
Loved Rosenthal ... what pain .. what description ... and Clean Sweep Ignatius was nice too ..
23-24ish

Anonymous said...

Ooh. I must tell my mom about it she's a big fan of FF..OOh what initials naa...eeks. Anyway I am not a big FF fan, but will try to read it anyway.

Anonymous said...

we r in the 5th month of this year

can u imagine how fast the past 3 months hav flown by??

its scary...

-Divster