Monday, January 10

Have you been possessed ?

One of my office colleagues had been to Sabarimala in the month of December. I took down notes at the cafeteria as he was describing his pilgrimage. "It’s a 2 day journey to the Temple of Lord Shree Ayyappan and the devotees usually stop enroute at various Temples and shrines. We were a group of 25 people traveling in a mini bus. After a tough day's journey, we reached a village some 90 kms off Trivandrum, Kerala. This village was completely surrounded by dense forests and the Lord Vishnu's temple was simply too beautiful to describe. At the entrance of the temple, we saw a couple of huge decorated elephants and a band of people beating the drums. Doom Doom Doom. It was unlike any music, I had heard. Very very rhythmic. We joined the group and started chanting the lord's name" Swami Sharanam Ayyappa Sharanam", suddenly the villager next to me got possessed. It's as if the Lords above were summoning him and they wanted his body (Vc says : yep temporarily, rent free ).I was scared out of my wits . The privileged one was dancing and throwing mud on his head, hypnotized by the music. Suddenly I hear a shrill scream.... Oh God... an old lady gets possessed .She can hardly stand on her feet .Her kith and kin try to calm her down .In the next 5 mins , a dozen people are dancing widely as the music reaches its zenith ... Doom Doom Doom Doom .... My adrenalin is pumping ,I am irritated and scared.. Irritated because I am an atheist and scared lest I be the next to be possessed. The crowd mesmerizes me. One of the devotees, who is still in a trance, breaks away from the crowd, picks up a 4-inch long iron nail and proceeds towards the huge Banyan tree. The crowd follows him. He then hammers the nail to the stump of the sacred tree, bang, bang, using his forehead as a hammer, blood gushes out. ... The crowd looks on... I faint... " :) ...... ok I made up the part about this guy fainting and the part about the atheist . The rest is true . I really do believe its the music that makes us act like as if we are possessed. What do you think ? Natural or Supernatural ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think they were really possessed!! cuz i had kinda same experience..lol very interesting and funnyyyy!

Vc said...

wow you did.. please enlighten this poor soul ....

Anonymous said...

ur full of laughters!! thanks for response (^^)

Vc said...

:)