Tuesday, November 27

Luck: when your burst of energy doesn't run afoul of someone else's. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966



Date : Sep 16th 2005.

It all started with a simple sms that I received a couple of days ago.
"I had an accident and almost killed a tatha.Windshield broke into a  million pieces "

Vc: What happened?

Dee: I was thinking of Mr. A (She's been married just over a month and Mr. A packed his bags and went off to Swiss .The minute his flight was in the air, she was throwing a kitty party ... I'm sure she'll make it into the upcoming edition of the local PAGE 3.)

Dee: And suddenly this old tatha came out of nowhere and I had to apply brakes.I think I hit him( it seems she closed her eyes, typical). The windshield shattered (How? that cannot be explained, Ripley's believe it or not have been contacted). I really thought I killed him. A crowd gathered and I was so afraid.

Vc: Is he? I mean did you?

Dee: No he was all right, the people were so understanding they consoled me and told me it was not my fault. The old man was all right but still I took him to the nearest hospital in an auto. I was crying and the old man was screaming " Narayana Narayana " .I thought his hip was fractured. At the Hospital I was advised by the auto driver not to mention that it was an accident. I looked at the old man and he understood what he had to do. You know he told the doctor that he fell down. (Sniff sniff). That &@#** Doctor kept asking if it was an accident .He kept giving me shady glances. You know what he said?

Vc: What??

Dee: Why are you so nervous? Did you run him down? #$%#$ Doctors.
Vc: Uhahahhahaa then what happened?

Dee: Thank God, he just had a bruise and the doctor gave a couple of painkillers. I then took him home and he consoled me (it seems she just couldn't stop crying) and told me that he had a feeling that something was going to go wrong today. He was so nice; you know he is 71 years old. Sniff. He promised me that he wouldn't lodge a case with the police. No complaints no case.( was she smiling ?? )

Vc: What happened to the car?

Dee: Oh my FIL and me went to the police station and the Inspector asked me to get a No Objection Certificate from the Iyer tatha. Did I tell you that he was an Iyer ? You know I wanted to stay back and look after him, it seems his wife was visiting relatives in Chennai and he was all-alone. Later as we( FIL and me) were walking towards the accident spot, this roadside vendor approached us and said " Madam it was not your fault, I saw the whole accident. If required I will come to court as a witness" .That was so touching.

Vc: What was he selling ?

Dee: I think he owned a roadside bhonda bhajji shop.( Similar to Bhaaji of the pav bhaaji fame)

Vc: Wow .. Dee how come you have all the fun ?
Dee: Because I am hip and Happening .
Vc: Yeah right !! and people come running to help you ??? what's the funda there?
Dee: Oh they recognize an Angel when they see one..
Vc: @##@$@#$# Angel … Hmmm Dee.. did the tatha have a charming and beautiful granddaughter ? ( Vc smiles ).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-) u and ur fascination for Iyer granddaughters!