Saturday, October 22

An appointment with Dr Pain.

I try not to laugh when someone is in pain.But me being mean and sarcastic...just couldn't control my laughter when a colleague was narrating his experiences with the Dentist.It was so funny.That was last month. Even Lord Krishna says" Beware of life and death and all in between,everyone has to undergo the miracles of life."In short he meant a visit to the dentist. I had this feeling that my wisdom tooth was acting funny, I decided to meet the dentist.I thought I would meet a hmm hmm doctor, but alas...if wishes were flies I would be a toad. We have a local saying : Throw a stone in Bangalore and it invariably hits an Engineer or a dental clinic. Every street in Bangalore has 10 to 12 dental clinics and I just picked one. The board said Dr Mahesh..and the only other patient was a young guy playing SUDOKU.I peeked and saw the maid cleaning and asked the dude if the doctor was in. He shook his head to say yes.After a few minutes this dude closed the newspaper with a satisfied look and went inside the clinic.I picked up the local Magazine and was busy reading Tintin, when the doctor asked me to comein.Surprise Surprise it was that young dude,he wore an apron and asked me to lie down on the dentist's chair.He didn't even ask me what the problem was. What is the first thing you notice when you meet a dental doctor ? Yep his teeth . :) Dr : Open your mouth Me:Aaaah The Dr then took an instrument and started testing the teeth. (took took)which was in morse code and read: pain pain. Dr: So what's the problem ? Me :( At last) I think the Wisdom tooth.. Dr: No its fine .All the teeth are fine . That sentence sounded like "The reports are negative , you don't have brain tumor". I was relieved but that sensation was short lived because the Dr's next sentence was "I think you should get your teeth cleaned". I shook my head which to any normal person would mean " NO" but doctors are not normal persons, are they ? He started cleaning the teeth and he stopped suddenly and said "Flush".I was like " Flush ???? " Oooh..i think he means spit.. ok and then I had a shock which jolted the dentist's chair. I was spitting blood.. litres of it..I looked at him , his eyes twinkled. He was like a primitive African hunter , his adrenalin pumping at the sight of blood.He continued cleaning and ordering me to Flush . After the 4th "Flush" , I realized that it was not Flush but "Wash".Comeon with the drilling and blood you cannot expect me to deciper the Da Vinci Code. I read that in order to endure the torture and pain,prisoners usually sang out loud or would recite the complete works of Shakespeare. "Take honour from me, and my life is done" Richard II, Act i, Sc.1 I couldn't sing with my mouth open nor could I recite Shakespeare.So I did the next best thing , closed my eyes and imagined hitting the Doctor. Pattar pattar. I think he read my thoughts and more blood spilled.I quickly thought of a few unsolved puzzles and tried solving it. Suddenly the pain subsided and I opened my eyes.The Dr was at his desk scribbling. Dr: You'll have to come again on Monday. Me : (Whispering) Why ? Dr: The second sitting is required. Me: Hmm Hmm.. Dr: Use this toothpaste and meet me on Monday 8 pm. I pay the fees and make a hasty retreat. Lets take each day as it comes. Monday is so faraway...........or is it ?

10 comments:

Prashanth said...

Reminds me of Ogden Nash's poem on visiting the dentist!

satishds said...

its already monday dude..so get ready for second sitting..even i dread going to a dentist..all the best!!!

Vc said...

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahi .........

satishds said...

hoon maga naane sap satisha

Anonymous said...

monday ke monday.. ab tera kya hoga re kaalia (uahahahahahaha)

Vc said...

I still have hmmm .. 2 hours ..
Sigh*

and everyone is copying my laugher..che !!

Karthik CS said...

VC.. BTW .. how was the second sitting

Vc said...

I almost decided not to go .. No Not because of the pain .. but because I was late.. but still I went and.. the second sitting was Arrggh..alright.. and then he said you have a nice set of teeth..

:)

Kirthi said...

Hmm I tried reading this in after office hours but I had to catch the bus back home. So I decided that my chances of getting kicked out and coming back to India ASAP increase if I carry out such outrageously illegal activities during office hours with loads of work piling on the sides. Hilarious and totally side-splitting! Why the hell do u indulge in Ctrl VC if you can write like this? I demand another amusing post (now the tables are turned).

Anonymous said...

eh !!

Will people please stop accusing me of CTRL VC .. naaaaaahi

Psst I write only when I'm down ...looking for that pencil ...

Sigh*...thank you kirthi.. that meant a lot.