Wednesday, November 16

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. ~Ernestine Ulmer

My trip to Mangalore was rejuvenating. The last time I visited Mangalore was in 1997, 8 long years ago. I have highlighted a few memories of the trip. 1. My aunt (Atte in Kannada, Mammi in Tamil ) makes amazing mango pickles. The best in the world.Sluuuuuuuuurp. Something unexplainable always happens when I meet her, One of us is bound to fall sick. This has happened 4 times and when I met her on Sunday, she was ill and we laughed about the coincidence .The last time she visited Bangalore to attend my sister's wedding , I had a high temperature ..... interesting. 2. My Cousin brothers are cool , shy and down to earth chaps. Had some amazing and enlightening conversations with them.Oh did I mention that one of them looks like Hrithik Roshan and has been voted Most Popular lecturer in college ? 3. Though I stayed for 2 days, I couldn't find anyone smoking a cigarette or honking. I must confess I was a tad irritated when we were caught in an unusual traffic jam .An accident on the main road and not a single driver honked. They just sat there talking to their passengers . If it were Bangalore , we would have honked like crazy with a capital C. 4. I found that the people of Mangalore lived in the present, enjoying the moment , unlike Bangaloreans who live for the future .. waiting for that elusive weekend. 5.My cousin wanted to know all about the IT industry .A BPO company had just started its operations near his house and he was explaining how things had changed dramatically. Yep more bars and rising land rates. 6.The visit to the beach and the talk on spiritualism , the Vedas, the Mahabharatha ....... just tooooooo good. Did you know that the Dashavataras depict the evolution of mankind ? From an ocean dweller to a reptile to Half animal Half human.. and so on ..... 7.The countless number of tender coconuts I had to drink . 8.People coming up to me and saying " Don't you remember me ? " I just used to give my 100 dollar smile and lie through my nose " Oh yes, how can I forget that smile. " and then I would look at mom for assistance “ Who is this aunty ??” 9 Mom showing her friend Mohini's house , " and that was where I used to play ". Somehow I just can’t imagine my mom playing . 10.Visiting Kerala , it was just a 20 min drive from my aunt's place. 11.The journey back home where I missed the chance to sit next to " u know who " and the 2 ladies fighting for the window seat.. that was hilarious.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

you missed a chance to sit next to???
driver?

-sajjan

Jagadish said...

Hmmmm Mangalore ! I stayed in Mangalore for about a month 3 years ago and really liked the place. It's more like how bangalore was in the 80s, though the climate's a bit unpleasant. Since i was near kuloor ferry road, every alternate day we had to sustain a heavy dose of fish smell dispersed in the air :D... I can't forget the bus rides, absolutely amazing if one is in the bus, and absolutely challenging to life if you are outside the bus :D...like u mentioned in one of your old posts, people do have to climb coconut trees to avoid the high probability of collision :D... Since buses are privately owned, there is some intense competition to pick up and drop off people. Once i accidentaly asked the bus driver(instead of confirming earlier) if the bus would go to bunts hostel bus stop, and he nodded like his life depended on it, and then took me to the market place and handed me a 1 rupee note and asked me to take another bus from there ! :D. Was tad scary then at 10:30 in the night.... All said, Mangalore still leaves me with fond memories, the easy-going attitude of people, no-tension life, the penambur beach(just awesome), and of course the bus rides-cheap and fair :D...and yeah i forgot my cousin's lunch invites :D..and till recently i had not realized that it had the one of the best pu colleges, the best medical college and the best engineering college in karnataka ! chupa rustum :D

Anonymous said...

i bet, this one's not a comment!!!

Anonymous said...

Vc, You discussed spiritualism and God..now my eyes are popping and they have bounced away somewhere..Ok that was pretty macabre!
You didn't know Dashavatar was the Indian evolution theory?? Murugaaa! How the west has spoilt Vc! He thinks Darwin discovered it first.
Tell the Mangaloreans to boycott BPOs and malls. Their dear city will get ruined like Pune and Bangalore. But do tell them to get a Starbucks outlet and serve Coorg coffee there in addition to Caffe Mocha.

Vc said...

Lo Sajjan: How did u know ? ( Vc bashes Saj)

Jagadish, that was so cool. I must write abt the private buses ..and the colleges in Mangalore.. Oh I have been invited to visit 2 colleges : Nitte and St Aloysis.. planning on sneaking away during the christmas holidays.
Are you not from BIT college ?

Kirthi.. I thought you hated coffee.. ( something to do with dull your senses) or was that wine ? hheeehhe

Hey Jagadish thanks for reading my archives..

Anonymous said...

Hey... how come... not a hint abt Aparna in this post!? Hmmmm....

/me raises an eyebrow

Btw, what was Lord Voldermort doing in your Airavat bus??

Anonymous said...

hey Iyer dude.. what are you doing here ? I thought you were busy swimming on Hosur Road :)

Aparna ?? Aparna Kamat our senior ? or Aparna Sen of the Mr and Mrs Iyer fame ?
Anand read my mails carefully :)

Oh ssssssh don't say it out loud.. by the way are you coming to the premiere of HP 4 ?

Divster said...

LOL.. Yah same question. i was just wondering.. why u were so keen abt having "Lord Voldemort" aboard...

ooooh.Soo nice Vc. that u house so many Iyer dude and dudettes :p

btw. who is this Iyer dude?(eyebrow raiser?)

Divster said...

*flinches ... at the mention of...Lord Voldemort..(flinches again)

Jagadish said...

:)..yeah, sure u should write about mangalore...the two kind of rice we get and stuff too :)...hotel ayodhya..yummy....

Hmmm... no i am not from BIT college...what made u think that ?

well, i am from...err...hmmm...ok ok...i am from PESIT, bangalore :D...i know a lot of them consider that as a school, and yes yes, we were not supposed to wear round neck t-shirts or printed t-shirts ! :D...and a 100 million more rules...but i made great friends there...so not all was bad after all :D

hey ur posts are great....i am reading too much of it....i guess u came to know about it from the visit dumps, i presume...

Vc said...

hey Div... didn't Dee mention that was an Iyer chick magnet ... I think its something to do with the nose.. ( Vc ponders...).. naah..

Hey that was Anand a very good friend of mine.. will introduce you to him ... Hey Anand meet Divya... ( psst she stays in Hungary.. can you believe it ?)

Jagadish:Damn I should have guessed it was PESIT. It was available on your blog... We guys are from DSCE ..

and the Mangalore post soon... even my sis is interested in it :)

Divster said...

Vc. btw. My 'inspirationo' 4 u is on its way... keep ur eyes open..:)

Jagadish said...

hmmm...i can't recall mentioning PESIT in my blog, but yeah quite a few of my friends whose links are on my blog have. DSCE ? that would be near our college then :)...we had quite a few external examiners for our practical exams....and generally they used to pour marks in buckets for us and were easy going too, so all were happy :)...any friends in PESIT, 2002 batch ?

looking forward to your mangalore post :)....