Monday, August 22

An ear for music?

I have been receiving a lot of flak on the kind of "music" and "film reviews" that I post on my blog. Uhahahaha. Back in the early 80's , I used to sit on my grandpa's lap and listen to Carnatic music on the radio. It was right after lunch, a boring zzzz afternoon. Grandpa would switch on the radio, and we would sit by the window and fall asleep within minutes. Such is the power of Carnatic music. As you grow older you kind of understand and get the grasp of the ragas and talas, the divine veena, the violin, the tambura, the flute and the rhythmic beat of the mridangam. Did you know that only a few artists tell out the name, tala and raga of the song they are performing. When not told it is up to the listener to identify the raga and tala.Hmm….

6 comments:

Self Writeous said...

Q) Guess the Raga and Tala on the musical note below?

-.-.-.-.-


Ans) MaunaRaga and Link(-.-.-.-)Tala :D

Anonymous said...

Music??? I'm all ears! :-D
I'm guessing that you're talking about Indian music because I am unfamiliar with those terms... I'm curious to learn more though.
I'm mostly studying Baroque/Classical/Romantic music (older Western genres) and in my spare time listening to 1960s-1970s music (especially the Beatles!).
Your friend, Nadera :-)

Vc said...

Hell Dude..
for 3 secs I thought that was MORSE code.:) link tala .. yeah right !!

I like the RagaMalika With Tilana and it has nothing to do with Mallika Arora.

Hey Nadera, didn't you promise to send me some of your compositions in mp3 format ?

Indian Classical Music is quite different from the Western genre.Maybe I'm not the guy who can elaborate on the differences.Will send you a couple of files, You judge them.Hmm Maybe my bro-in-law.. I'll ask him to help me out..

Anonymous said...

Oh really Vc?..have u heard Ananda Bhairavi (nothing to do with ur friend Anand!) or Mohanam. these r some of the more lively ragams I have heard.

Vc said...

eh !! Wait let me check my winamp playlist..

Vc said...

Lo Anand .. someone knows about you .. scary ...