Wednesday, August 31

It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more. ~J.K. Rowling

My first reaction on picking up the latest "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" book was :"It’s so small". The difference between the 5th book (The Order of Phoenix) and the 6th is like 300 pages. The 0.5 Hairy Puttar was a good read especially the last 3 chapters where the action heats up. People who have read the book might be interested in some of my thoughts : 1. Dumbledore and Snape. Something is fishy here. Just take a look at this line : "Please...Severus" Dumbledore was not pleading for his life but for Snape to gather the courage to do it. Then Snape explodes when Harry calls him a coward. He was not being a coward. Grrr. what's going on?? 2.The last book will certainly have Hairy boy and his friends searching and destroying the Horcruxes. 3. I thought the 0.5 Prince would be Dumbledore or Voldemort but it turned out to be Prof Snape. And trying out things written on a second hand book. Hah!! Haven't we all done that? 4. I was disappointed that Rowling aunty never explained what happened to Dumbledore's hand."It is a thrilling tale and I wish to do it justice " that's what Dumbledore says when asked by Harry. 5. Maybe we'll have Pre-Quels that will throw more light on Harry’s parents and Sirius Black... Did you catch these words: Nagini and Mantra. Nagini ofcourse being Voldemort's pet snake. Loved this curse: Sectumsempra: A Dark Arts spell invented by the Half-Blood Prince that cuts a person and drains him or her of blood. Cool magic potion: Felix Felicis is a potion that grants temporary good luck to the drinker. Some cool quotes: Dumbledore to Harry: "I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being — forgive me — rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger." "Is the prophecy objectively true because it's objectively true or is it true because someone chose to believe it, and if, when they chose to believe it, did it not do just as much as if the prophecy had been objectively true in the starting case " >> Reminds me of SP's posts.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know the source of SP's lunacy. Mission : Destroy all fantasy books.
Oh btw why doesn't anyone here talk abt pokemon..isn't it just abt as zany and ridiculous as Hari Puttar?

Vc said...

I always keep a couple of Pokemon tatoo's in my wallet.(Vc shows Pikachu's tatoo).Kab Kahan Kisko patha I might impress a kid with my knowledge of Jigglypuff and charmander.Ofcourse the kid must have an elder hmm hmm sister.

Come-on ..everyone is interested in Hari puttar and his magic wand.

Prashanth said...

Oh did you guys read the review I wrote ages ago? I put it up on the book review blog: myfavouritecouch.blogspot.com

Am overdue for another review... think I'll write on Carl Sagan's Contact.

Vc said...

Yes Sp I just read your review.. hmm.. you have not written much about the plot nor your thoughts on where the next book would be leading us to.. hmmmm...

Prashanth said...

a) I dont want to tell the story to someone who hasnt read the book

b) Rowling tends to surprise me a lot, so I dont like to conjecture in that area!

But it is an interesting thought, Albus might have given up his life to cement Snape in Voldy's trust... didn't think of that one...

Vc said...

Hah!! .. My sis says DD will be back.. I beg to differ.

Anonymous said...

Hmm can I talk about Theirry henry's bullet like shots and Beckham's curvy balls and john Terry's defence pls? Ok I'll shutup and wait for another post and heck change ur template back puhleez.

Vc said...

Grr go read this post... ...http://jpath.blogspot.com/2005/07/harry-potter-mania.html

Anonymous said...

Oh like mr. J got a big picture of the world after pottering around with Pottery books! He has his whole idea of arts and science messed up according to me.
It's one thing to enjoy the yarn spun and another thing to BELIEVE it!!

Vc said...

I Know!! I know! you have a huge collection of ceramic pots with multicolored designs .. hey why don't you post some of those pics...

Prashanth said...

Oh yes, I'm quite inclined to think good ol' Albus is still alive... said as much on that review, didn't I?

Vc said...

Aah Yes yes .. But who knows what Rowling aunty has in store for us ...

Jagadish said...

you might want to check this website http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/introduction.html

I somehow think Dumbledore is alive, it can't be such a meek death for him. Rowling is running out of plots, though i agree that Horcruxes is a neat way to keep voldy uncle alive :). Somehow it reminds me of the movie 'pathaal bhairavi' where that guy keeps his life in a bird or something.

beginning to feel that Rowling's been getting a lot of inspiration from LOTR though.

Anonymous said...

Oops Jagadish .. you found a post where we were hmm.. talking about you :)

Jagadish said...

oops !! i didn't realize this...hmmm, seems like 'anonymous' disagrees with me :)....well i have not got my idea of arts and science messed up, instead i only think that its not prudent to think science is the only source for explaining everything.

wormwood asks : "what is the significance of eerie canal ?"

calvin says : "in the cosmic sense, nil!"

Vc said...

I'm sure the Anonymous commentor will be back ... and this time. .. maybe ....

Vc gives a sly smile...