Friday, September 3

I miss my Granny

There is something universal about all Indian grandmothers. For one, they are always in the background. They are all extraordinary ladies who lead ordinary lives. Whatever may be their appearance, they are pictures of dignity. They never once upstage the grandfathers, even though sometimes they bear the brunt of their husbands' irrational outbursts. On the flip side, it isn't too difficult to coax them into a deliriously happy mood that they rush in and make sweets, especially for you. They expect very little out of their grandkids, even though their entire lives revolve solely around their families. I remember my grandma waking us kids at 12 midnight for the Krishna Jayanthi Puja .We would all be sleepy , but My granny was full off enthusiasm . She had 8 children , 3 girls and 5 boys. My father being the eldest of the boys got all the attention , not to mention the butter and Ghee. She had 21 grandchidren and guess what number i am ? Yep Lucky number 13 . Like all grandma's she was an amazing cook .Her repertoire was so enormous she made at least ten kinds of sambhar. Some of her 'surprise' recipes were not always the tastiest, but she would insist that they were good for our health and were certainly the right stuff to improve one's brains to do the schoolwork. After living till a ripe old age of seventy something, my grandmother finally called it quits and died a few years ago. I miss my Granny .

No comments: